Hitch on Hardball

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 18 12:55:33 PDT 2002

Christian Gregory wrote:

> > What part, the dour, humorless part? One could
> assemble some of your own posts into a proof text for that, or pick up an
> issue of Z. And as for Butler's criticisms, you mean to tell me there are no
> Marxists who think that feminism and the gay/lesbian movement are diversion
> from the real struggle, which is class struggle? You're not serious about
> that, are you?

Either Doug really can't read any critique of a belief he finds warming _or_ this is deliberate falsification. This paragraph in fact _supports_ my argument. He must know -- he has got to know -- that of course I will admit that there are SOME marxists who believe any old fucking thing you want to list. Marxists disagree with each other on many topics. And that is just what Doug and Butler regularly try to conceal, because to admit that there are differences among Marxists would in effect silence both of them forever.

There are marxists who oppose abortion. There are marxists who support u.s. imperialist ventures in Kosovo and the Mideast. And so forth. Of course this is the truth: and just because it is the truth criticisms of "The Left" or of "Marxists" are necessarily unprincipled.

Carrol