Tomasky v Rosenbaum

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri Oct 18 16:38:53 PDT 2002

>[forwarded to me from Eric Alterman's blog]
>
>LOOK! STRAW MAN ON FIRE!
>[by Michael Tomasky]

How does one get things forwarded to oneself from Alterman's blahg? Why would you want stuff forwarded from Alterman's blahg?

Right before Hitch quit, Alterman had written something on his blahg about Hitch and 9/11 and then he posted a nasty e-mail from a reader who said Hitchens had waited to see which way the wind was blowing before attacking the left. (Someone here inquired about this). I protested. Alterman, on his blahg, said I may be right and Mr. Ad Hominem wrong, but he hadn't seen Hitchens comment on the matter in writing. Here's his reply which Alterman put up on the blahg: Dear Peter,

Actually I did give a complete account of that Guardian piece in my reply to Herrman, some of which was printed in The Nation and the remainder - including the Guardian bit - on the Nation website. Don't know and don't care if it's still accessible. But I sure knew what I thought at the time - it's just that the fuckwit faction had not then done what I guessed it was going to, and the Guardian had asked me to report rather than pronounce (which does happen and which I can in fact do).

Oh, while I am at it, In These Times misunderstood the piece - as did that prize bonehead Conason and one or two others - and bought it from the Guardian but not me. I wasn't able to stop that, and what do you know - the check for the reprint came limping in this week. It was small.

Should I be flattered that people read me this closely? But a fool reading closely and in search of heresy is probably not all that attentive.

By all means shove this onto Eric's site as I have written it. But don't feel you need keep me informed.

Hope all goes well, fraternally, Christopher