Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 18:09:01 PDT 2002

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> At 3:06 PM -0700 10/18/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
> >First of all the maoists, and other brands of
> stalinists, were/are
> >anti-sexual.
--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> If you mean China and North Korea, as they become
> more and more
> capitalist...they are bound to become
> fleshpots with
> brothels, hookers,

What kind of rhetorical tactic is that!? Are you saying that the Maoists didn't preach against sexual freedom? Or are you saying- in the binary way of viewing things- that there are only two choices...either the prudish uptight maoist view of sexuality or exploitation of sex workers? What a choice!!!!

> If you mean "maoists" and "stalinists" in the West,
> they are aging
> minorities among leftists.

Yes, I admit that. As I said, my statement about maoists and stalinists was aimed at Carrol.

> In any case, the problem is a nasty mix of class
> oppression, sexism,
> and homophobia, of which attitudes about sexuality
> are symptoms --
> the problem that cannot be classified simplistically
> as "pro-sexual"
> or "anti-sexual."

Well, that is true but I would say however that there is this tendency to see unbridled sexual joy as a distraction from the "class struggle" amongst the Maoists (and perhaps the North Koreans of whom I know less)...besides, if you allow people to enjoy full sexual freedom, they might get bad ideas, like following their desires instead of the plan the Party has for their life. Now wouldn't that be a disaster!?

-Thomas

===== "A question is always the desire to know, and to preserve simple human truths, we need secrets. The secrets of happiness, death, love."