Hitch on Hardball

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Oct 19 09:38:56 PDT 2002

> As I understand it the Kurds are already fighting Hussein. And the reason
> they are better off than they once were - and better off than the
> Palestinians - is the American and British military. Am I missing
> something?
>
> Peter

But what is the end game here, Peter? The Turks have made it plain that they will not abide a Kurdish state, and will attack and destroy any independent Kurdistan. Will the US/Brits attack the Turks in return? How devoted is Bush to Kurdish freedom?

In addition to that rather sticky problem, a "democratic" Iraq may very well mean a Shia-run government; they are the majority, after all. And we saw in the brief uprising in 1991 what the Shias think of the Sunnis -- house to house slaughter, women and children included. Then there's the proposition that Tommy Franks run the whole show for a while. Is that acceptable to you and Hitch?

DP