Hitch playing a lefty on TV....

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Oct 19 13:52:57 PDT 2002

Hi,

The right-wing Patriot movement is based on the premise that the U.S. government is manipulated by secret elites and planning to impose repression. Many of these right-wing populists believe that the government and the CIA lied about Vietnam, thus the Rambo narrative of grunts being betrayed by politicians. A segment of the libertarians close to the Patriot movement also think this way.

See:

Gibson, James William. (1994). Warrior Dreams: Paramilitary Culture in Post-Viet Nam America. New York: Hill and Wang.

Franklin, H. Bruce. (1992). M.I.A. or Mythmaking in America. Brooklyn, NY: Lawrence Hill Books.

and not to forget:

Berlet, Chip and Matthew N. Lyons. (2000). Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort. New York: Guilford Publications.

-Chip

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of steve philion Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 4:19 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Hitch playing a lefty on TV....

Peter K.'s comment:

What planet are you on? Hawaii? Smoking a little too much weed? I'll stand by the assertion that the view that the American government maliciously lied during the Vietnam War and its arms for hostages/ money for contras dealings isn't very patriotic or right wing.

--funny how people still think weed is the drug of choice on the islands, not that i'm on the islands, haven't lived there for over a year already...Stand by it all you want, and stand by Hitchens' assertion that leading left critics of the bombing of Afghan's civilians were admirers of OBL, no problem. But like I said, you'll find those views in right wing/non-left conspiracy theorists web pages for starters, check out Berlet's Public Eye, which has a pretty good listing.

Concerning libertarian magazines, I'm skeptical to say the least and would appreciate just one example.

--well, I take Jesse Ventura to be pretty standard fare right leaning libertarian material...his recent trip to Cuba is another good example, the guy was all excited to meet Castro...guess that makes ol' Jesse a leftist...