Human Rights Watch on Kurds

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 19 14:05:04 PDT 2002

>s-t-t at juno.com wrote:
>>the craven cynicism that is the creed of the Free Milosevic! crowd
>
>Craven? How so?
>
>Cynicism? How so?
>
>Were the critics of the Nuremberg trials cynics?
>
>Many of us argued against the Spanish attempt to try Pinochet. Many very
>respectable legal thinkers objected to the Nuremberg trials. Those
>trials, the kidnapping of Noriega, the trial of Milosevic, the attempted
>kidnapping of Pinochet, the criminalizing of the Taliban leadership, are
>all a return to savagery that most civilized tribes and nations
>transcended centuries or millenia ago.
>
>As Ghandi said, Western civilization would be a good idea.
>
>Carrol

When USA invaded Panama, I was still in Tokyo, but I knew a number of Americans (many of them liberals) due to my line of work then (teaching & translating). I was disheartened to see that none of them seemed to be shocked or even disturbed by the (then) unprecedented action taken by the US government: indicting a foreign head of state and invading a country on that pretext. This was not even a case of invoking the doctrine of "universal jurisdiction" -- rather, a clearly extraterritorial application of US laws concerning drug trafficking! Imperialism clearly stupefies the minds of its domestic victims -- most Americans -- who come to accept the exercise of power by the imperial government, neither cynically nor cravenly -- rather, _just like that, as a fact of life_.

BTW, it is noteworthy that Human Rights Watch called the Guillermo Endara administration installed by the US government through its invasion of Panama "democratically-elected": "The ouster of General Manuel Noriega in December 1989 and the installation of the democratically-elected coalition government of President Guillermo Endara brought high hopes in Panama that a long period of disrespect for law and the civil rights of the Panamanian people had come to an end" (@ <http://www.hrw.org/reports/1991/panama/>). A revealing definition of democracy. -- Yoshie