Human Rights Watch on Kurds

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 19 17:14:42 PDT 2002

At 6:27 PM -0500 10/19/02, s-t-t at juno.com wrote:
> > It is not simply a matter of selective vision, as in highlighting
>> the repression of Kurds in Iraq, while failing to do the same with
>> regard to that of Kurds in Turkey. There are Kurds, and there are
>> Kurds; they are not simply divided by national boundaries that have
>> made the creation of Kurdistan an impossibility so far; they are also
>> divided _politically_. Human Rights Watch's going after Abdullah
>> Ocalan is motivated by more than the simple fact that the PKK's main
>> base was in Turkey; HRW hated the PKK's politics, in a good old
>> anticommunist fashion. In other words, *with or without Saddam
>> Hussein*, not all Kurds are equal in the eyes of HRW and those who
>> subscribe to the same or similar politics; they like some Kurds better
>> than others, in other words the Kurds who don't mind accepting the
>> free market and the US empire.
>
>You're shadow boxing. No one here has criticized the PKK because they
>"don't mind accepting the free market."

You mean "no one" on LBO-talk? That's probably because the PKK doesn't even rise to LBO-talkers' attention, for all the professions of love of Kurds. Not much interest in Kurdish politics here, really.

BTW, the PKK is on the US Department of State's list of "foreign terrorist organizations":

***** International Security | Response to Terrorism

Fact Sheet: State Department Identifies 28 Foreign Terrorist Groups

Two groups dropped from list since 1999 report

(The State Department October 5 released the following fact sheet on the 2001 Foreign Terrorist Organization report.)

U.S. Department Of State Office of the Spokesman October 5, 2001

FACT SHEET

The Secretary of State designates Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO's), in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of the Treasury. These designations are undertaken pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996. FTO designations are valid for two years, after which they must be redesignated or they automatically expire. Redesignation after two years is a positive act and represents a determination by the Secretary of State that the organization has continued to engage in terrorist activity and still meets the criteria specified in law.

In October 1997, former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright approved the designation of the first 30 groups as Foreign Terrorist Organizations.

In October 1999, Secretary Albright re-certified 27 of these groups' designations but allowed three organizations to drop from the list because their involvement in terrorist activity had ended and they no longer met the criteria for designation.

Secretary Albright designated one new FTO in 1999 (al Qaida) and another in 2000 (Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan).

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell has designated two new FTO's (Real IRA and AUC) in 2001.

In October 2001, Secretary Powell re-certified the designation of 26 of the 28 FTO's whose designation was due to expire, and combined two previously designated groups (Kahane Chai and Kach) into one.

...13. Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)...

Effects of Designation

Legal

1. It is unlawful for a person in the United States or subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to provide funds or other material support to a designated FTO.

2. Representatives and certain members of a designated FTO, if they are aliens, can be denied visas or excluded from the United States.

3. U.S. financial institutions must block funds of designated FTO's and their agents and report the blockage to the Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury.

Other Effects

1. Deters donations or contributions to named organizations

2. Heightens public awareness and knowledge of terrorist organizations

3. Signals to other governments our concern about named organizations

4. Stigmatizes and isolates designated terrorist organizations internationally...

<http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/01100513.htm> *****

Human Rights Watch and orgs with like politics basically take their cue from the US government as to whom to go after.

At 6:27 PM -0500 10/19/02, s-t-t at juno.com wrote:
>The WW is being criticized
>because it doesn't mind accepting torturers and ethnic cleansers as
>"patriots" or solid anti-imperialists. I think any self-respecting
>anti-war movement that's worth a moment's notice should have no
>discomfort with indicting Saddam Hussein, and a far number of us don't.

Indicting as in anti-war activists and movements, _independently of the US government_, condemning Hussein and other foreign heads of states is one thing; indicting as in _urging the US government_ to use "universal jurisdiction," indict them, kidnap them, try them, kill them, etc., using means ranging from covert actions, wars, to psychological campaigns, is entirely another. The former belongs in an anti-war movement, but the latter doesn't.

At 6:27 PM -0500 10/19/02, s-t-t at juno.com quotes Zizek:
>"I think the left should overcome this primordial fear of state
>power, that because it's some form of control, it's bad."
><http://eserver.org/bs/59/zizek.html>

Zizek needs to pay attention to who controls the state. If a left-wing political party controlled the US government, I have no problem urging it to use its state power _when such use of state power does not violate human rights and international law_, but not only do we have right-wing imperialists who trample upon human rights and international law sitting in control of the government, but their loyal oppositions are by and large imperialists, too (with such honorable exceptions as Barbara Lee). No left-wing organization is even _remotely_ close to any seat of power in the USA (as shown in the failure of the Nader campaign). My motto is regime change begins at home. -- Yoshie