butcher's lobby (was Re: Human Rights Watch on Kurds)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 19 20:39:18 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> At 8:58 PM -0500 10/19/02, s-t-t at juno.com wrote:
> >[clip]
> >
> >It's a discussion list, not Amnesty International. The topic at hand is
> >butcher's lobby within the anti-war movement, and I don't buy that the
> >cause of Kurdistan is one that animates them.

If you read the essay on coalitions on Max Sawicki's Blog (Max definitely not being on any buther's lobby by anyone's standard), you might not be convinced but perhaps you can see that there will be no place in any mass movement for those who are so puristic as to those they unite with. Coalitions simply can't be that picky.

The people in the local coalition are Quakers, liberals, pacifists, left Democrats for the most part, but if anyone attacked a red in this manner in that coalition, he or she would find few positive responses.

How do you see yourself actually participating in political activity rather than merely hunting bad people on LBO?

Carrol