Towards a More Sex-Positive...Left

catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Oct 20 03:28:09 PDT 2002

Gordon Fitch writes:

So, anyway, are you saying you object to thinking about sex,
>discussing it, using long words in reference to it, or what?

Well Gordon I'm quite happy to intellectualise sex with you.

You think attention to orgasms is capitalist. That the idea that men defer orgasm till the end of a sexual encounter is also.... capitalist. Now I grant you that a guy's erection is not *necessary* to enjoyable sex -- yes, I think I can grant you that -- but if, let's say, there was something that you wanted from said erection, as another person in this sexual encounter, you might want it to last a little longer than the minimum period of time required to achieve his orgasm.

I'm not totally convinced that this is about capitalism. I know everyone on this list will jump up and down (or jostle in their swivel chairs or something), but I'm going out on a limb to say I don't think absolutely everything is about capitalism. The circulation of images of sex, sure, absolutely (in fact your post reminded me of this Linda Williams book on porn films), I'm with you on that -- but actual sexual enjoyment does, in my experience, have dimensions that are at least not strictly *caused by* capitalism, however much capitalism may seek to mediate or profit from them.

Awaiting your spectacular unravelling of my naivete.

Catherine