Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Oct 20 11:28:52 PDT 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Chuck0 wrote:

> Anthony Kennerson wrote:
>
> This shift to do-it-yourself pornography has beeen very interesting and
> hasn't been talked about very much. You have more and more women running
> their own websites and you see lots of average people running small video
> companies and websites. I would argue that this democratization of porn has
> been a good thing for men and women, especially in a country that is so
> straight-laced about sex. To what extent has DIY porn allowed men and women
> to become more aware of their own sexuality, instead of buying into Hugh
> Heffner's vaste wasteland of thin, blonde buxom 18-year-olds?
> [snip]
> Of course, it would be unfair for me to suggest that men like porn and women
> prefer Halrequin Temptations. What's interesting is that more and more women
> are enjoying porn and the largest market for adult videos is couples.

I can vouch for this. Pornography's becoming my wife's favorite type of foreplay. I don't know how much the "DIY" porn has challenged dominant representations of sexuality, though. Most of the guys have cocks longer than my arm, the women have impossibly large breasts and thin waists, and the sex scenes are typically concluded with the men's 'money shot'.

There's something else that seems kinda creepy to me about the porn we've watched: everybody shaves the hair around their genitals. I kid you not: size excepted, everybody looks prepubescent in the close-ups. --But I digress.

Miles