blah, blah, blahgs (Re: best response to Hitchens' little screedtoday

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 20 13:06:04 PDT 2002

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> continuing leftism (even in my personal,
> watered-down form) is not.

Max and I doubtless have some differences that in 'the long run' (in which we're mostly dead anyhow) might turn out to be fundamental. But at least for the present, and the needs of the present, Max's "watered-down form" sounds pretty good to me. He seems able to talk about political activity from the "inside," rather than from the detached and olympian perspective of the journalist or the scholar. That also makes for better left journalism and better left scholarship than does the olympian approach. Moreover, that sort of ("inside") perspective, even when one disagrees on a particular question, is less apt to set one's teeth on edge.

Have any of the various red-baiters on the list ever answered Max's post on coalitions? (It's on his Blog, but someone I think did fwd it to the list."

Carrol

P.S. What do you call discourses (most general term available) that appear on a blog? Essays? Articles? Pronunciamentos? Statements? Broadsides? Columns?