Towards a More Sex-Positive...Left

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Sun Oct 20 20:58:31 PDT 2002

At 12:03 PM 10/20/02 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

> From the social scientist's point of view, sex is an important
>social activity in all human societies, and it's perfectly
>appropriate to observe, analyze, theorize, and intellectualize
>sexuality.

Obviously. I certainly have a well-established history of choosing to do that here and elsewhere. However, I was responding to Gordo's complaint that people giggled too much during these discussions. I think that kind of policing of the how we are supposed to go about discussing sex quite disturbing--particularly for an anarchist! And, as I indicated later, the demand for "propriety"--No giggling allowed!--is not necessarily a more mature response to the topic than is effusive giggling.

there's nothing wrong with being serious, but there is certainly nothing wrong with laughter. and i don't care WHAT we are talking about. I thought I was gonna wet my pants the other night listening to my son's friends diss one another with racial jokes. They're all black! What?! I'm supposed to sit there while they try to make me laugh and be horrified and start lecturing them about racism?

As I said, I want no part of a revolution where some wanker polices the boundaries of proper discourse about sex. How absurd in a discussion of the sex negative left!

Fuckmesilly,

Kelley