Human Rights Watch on Kurds (Corrected)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Oct 21 06:56:23 PDT 2002

> For the sake of argument, though, let's take the figures given by HRW
> at their face value (we will not inquire whether the individuals
> killed by the PKK or the Turkish government were "innocent" by
> either's standards, that is, whether they had themselves undertaken
> any political killings before their deaths). HRW attributes 65
> killings to the PKK in 1994 @
> <http://www.hrw.org/press98/nov/italy-apendix.htm>. What of the
> Turkish government's behavior in the same year? "In 1994 alone, more
> than a hundred people, mainly Kurdish villagers, 'disappeared' after
> being taken into custody by gendarmes or police," according to HRW @
> <http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/turkey/kurd.htm>. That's just counting
> the Kurds disappeared by the police, not those killed by soldiers,
> "village guards," etc.

> HRW claims that "Human Rights Watch recounted that between 1992 and
> 1995, the height of the conflict, Ocalan's PKK is believed to have
> been responsible for at least 768 extrajudicial executions, mostly of
> civil servants and teachers, political opponents, off-duty police
> officers and soldiers, and those deemed by the PKK to be "state
> supporters." In addition, the PKK committed numerous large-scale
> massacres of civilians, usually against villagers or villages that
> somehow were connected with the state civil defense 'village guard
> system'" @ <http://www.hrw.org/press98/nov/italy-apendix.htm>; add
> the figures in the "[l]ist of massacres attributed to the PKK or for
> which the PKK took responsibility" on the same page to 768, and
> you'll get 1127. 1127 x 3.7 = 4167. (That's an overestimate, as the
> years 1992-1995 were "the height of the conflict," but let's set that
> aside.)
>
> --
> Yoshie

Someone chokes on a fig in Afghanistan, and Yoshie will tell you it's a US war crime. When the Soviets wiped out over a million Afghans and sprinkled the countryside with tens of thousands of landmines, Yoshie defends this as the proper way to fight Islamic extremism. When someone points out the brutal methods employed by Ocalan, Yoshie pops out her calculator and itemizes the mound of bodies (also looking inside their pockets for incriminating evidence, i.e. they had it coming), then points to the Turkish state and says, "But they're worse!" Well, yes -- they have state power and are funded by the US. Imagine if Ocalan had state power and was funded by a superpower -- but then, the resulting carnage under this arrangement would be explained away by Yoshie, who can find anti-imperial cred in the darkest and bloodiest of places.

In other words, Yoshie doesn't give a damn about the Kurds, the Afghans, or anyone else for that matter. Yoshie cares about ideology, and will do or say anything to make reality fit into the tiny cage where she keeps her brain.

DP