Hitchens in the Post

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 21 17:16:44 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com> -Hitchens said "petition." I hear that the NION "organization" is -more than partly a front for the RCP. Sounds -like fun. I thought you lawyers paid attention to detail. Although -perhaps it was maliciousness and not carelessness.

Come on, it's complete carelessness. The following passage completely misidentifies Clark Kissinger as a member of the IAC:

>It is this
>quasi-Stalinist group, co- organized by a man with the
>wondrous name of Clark Kissinger, which has recruited
>such figures as Ed Asner and Marisa Tomei to sign the
>"Not In Our Name" petition.

I've expressed a lot of sympathy for Hitchens' view of the Iraq situation and his criticisms of much left rhetoric on it, but to conflate the IAC with NION just shows a sloppiness that undermines the credibility of his critique.

-- Nathan Newman