Blood for no oil? (was Re: Hitch on Hardball)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Oct 21 19:32:25 PDT 2002

Kendall Clark wrote:
>It occured to me when he [Chomsky] made it, though, that it runs counter to
the
>common assertion, mostly by Greens in my experience, that development of
>viable alternative fuel sources (air, solar, electric-combustion hybrid
>car engines seem the most popular) would have a positive effect on US
>foreign policy [...]
>
>If Chomsky is right that Washington wants to control ME oil resources,
>but doesn't *need* those resources presently (or historically) for US energy
>needs, then part of the Green linkage of enviromentalism to US foreign
>policy is dead wrong.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that, too. This weekend I participated in a town meeting on civil liberties and war powers put on by the peace movement here. Again and again people blamed SUVs (and their owners), greedy Americans who want cheap gas and cheap plastics. It seems to me this is taking Bush & Co. at face value, conceding that a U.S. war on Iraq is in the economic (if not security or spiritual) interests of U.S. people. My view is much more that SUV owners are getting rolled, just like the rest of us, by the oil companies.

There seemed to be viable (although minority) argument during the Gulf War which still applies: the war would be not a war for cheap oil, but a war for *expensive* oil, a war to restrict oil. When they talk about the economic danger of price fluctuation, don't they mean that they don't want the price to go *down*? And to prevent that, competitors (EU or otherwise) must be kept away from Iraq's vast supply? "They" would include, of course, not only the oil companies Bush is aligned with but the banks who hold, for example, Venezuela's debt.

In other words, rather than fighting over a scarce resource by 'taking' Iraq, the oilmen are reacting to a crisis of overproduction in oil. A war in Iraq--as well as the sanctions--could be seen as a capitalist dump operation.

Any opinions on this?

Jenny Brown