sex and the left

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Oct 23 10:01:58 PDT 2002

At 12:17 AM 10/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Ahhh, yes...."commodify and alienate our sexual selves"!!! That's
>precisely the moralism that I have been critisizing!!! I guess that in
>your perfect world, Joanna, there would be no need for prostitution or any
>type of "alienated", "commodified" sexuality because everyone would be
>trained in the art of politically correct, totally "egalitarian" sex
>stripped of all of that bad, evil (why not add "degrading" and make it the
>perfect trifecta??) The very fact that real people tend not to follow
>simplistic political agendas in their true sexual desires and beings seems
>to be irrelevant to you; everything must be reduced to the political sphere.

First of all, you're the one who said that given that everything is commodified why shouldn't sex also be commodified. Second, I never uttered a word about political correctness or political spheres. Nor did I ever say anything about people being "trained" in any kind of pc sex. In fact, everything I said argued for the importance of freedom...for both sides...in sexual relations. I tried to draw attention to the ways in which porn and prostitution constrained sexual relations -- though I know you see them as examples of some kind of freedom.

> >As for "sex work is for most people the only means to satisfy their
> >legitimate sexual urges"....most people? really?
>
>Yes, Joanna, really....sometimes men and women get horny, and they can't
>rely on their significant mates to relieve their desires. Would you
>prefer that they repress these desires just for the sake of
>"anti-commodification"??

Acting out or repression? Are those the only two choices in your universe?

> >Do I believe that sexual urges are legitimate? That's not the issue. They
> >exist: people get horny. But there's no direct link between sexual urges
> >and visiting a prostitute that I can think of.
> >
> >Joanna
> >
>Ask any horny man or woman who's been rejected by his/her partner and he
>or she will beg to differ with that.
>
>Anthony
>(A dildo is an object; a prostitute (or a sex worker) and her clients are
>real human beings. Why can't some people accept that basic fact???)

In your ideal world, where sex workers are essentially therapists who freely choose to do this kind of work, a sex worker would be a real human being. In this world where prostitution skyrockets as immiseration grows or where a young woman "chooses" to be a prostitute over an 12-hour shift in a factory or starvation, they are still human beings, they're just not treated as such.

Joanna