Tarkovsky was (no subject)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 18:34:52 PDT 2002

--- Ulhas Joglekar <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:

> I liked "Solaris", but my favourites among Tarkovsky
> films are "Stalker" and
> "Ivan's Childhood".
>
> Ulhas

Well, I suppose you know that Soderberg (sp?) is coming out with his own rendition of "Solaris". The fact that George Clooney is playing Chris Kelvin is not encouraging.

I am afraid that Soderberg is going to turn it into a Hollywood story about a love affair with a succubus. In fact, Tarkovsky wanted to add a piece in his movie about his wife on planet earth, but Lem, who wrote the novel, protested he didn't want the movie turning into some trite story about a love triangle! As if Tarkovsky could create anything "trite" :)

Tarkvosky didn't concentrate as much on the problems of communicability as did the novel, and this is one theme among many that Soderberg could take up. Of course, he wont and the Hollywood version will have lots of stunning visual effects, unlike the Tarkovsky one, but it will also not be as brilliantly philosophical/psychological as the Tarkovsky one.

I like all of Tarkovsky's movies, including the ones you mentioned. I just finished viewing again his "Andrei Rublev" which is also brilliant.

What surprizes me is that no one has jumped on me for having a "signature" with words from such a "reactionary" director as Tarkovsky? Is that because most people here haven't seen Tarkovsky or because they are losing their edge :)

-Thomas

===== "A question is always the desire to know, and to preserve simple human truths, we need secrets. The secrets of happiness, death, love."