Sex positive left, yeah right.

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Wed Oct 23 20:42:27 PDT 2002

I've been following this thread with some interest, and have generally enjoyed the exchange.

I am convinced though there is a perception out there that like the far right, the left (not far necessarily, just anything to the left of say, Bill Clinton) is stereotyped as being grim, humorless and sexless. And sometimes there's a reason for that, like the announcement below. ACE I believe stands for Anarchist Collective of Edmonton;

>** ACE Fight Club
>Thursday, October 24, 2002
>Every 3 weeks on Thursday - 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM
>NEXT: Thursday, October 31, 2002
>
>ACE feels that working on issues of privilege and oppression within our
>movement is super critical and time often isn't made for it. The ACE
>"Fight Club" will be a time we set side to 'duke it out' over these issues.
>
>The "Fight Club" is meant to be a place where uncomfortable issues are
>brought up and ideas exchanged, learned, and acted upon. However, it is
>not going to be a yelling match / free-for-all. ACE is doing it's best to
>come up with facilitation ideas to help create a safe, yet challenging,
>environment.
>
> Check out times/dates, announcements, and other info on our website
> (ace.struggle.ca). If you are planning on attending meetings, please
> take a look at the "Club Rulez" under the "About ACE" section. These are
> ACE's operating principles.
>
>Oct 24: "Is Procreation Progressive?"
>- Should we procreate? Is this revolutionary?
Sorry, but anyone who cannot separate the biology of procreation with the responsibility and politics of procreating should pack up the political tent now, no one's going to be remotely interested.

As an aside, the most reactionary, enthusiastic supporters of predatory capitalism and intolerant people I have ever met didn't have kids, based on that limited experience I'd argue that having kids is a profoundly revolutionary act.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021023/82fd32d2/attachment.htm>