Tarkovsky was (no subject)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 20:59:33 PDT 2002

--- Ulhas Joglekar <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:
> I liked "Rublev" as well. I found "Mirror" difficult
> to understand. I need
> to view it again.

Well, you are not alone. "Mirror" is the most difficult one for just about everybody. Did you know that Tarkovsky's mother, stepdaughter, sister all have roles in "Mirror" and his father is in it reading his own poetry?

> > What surprizes me is that no one has jumped on me
> for
> > having a "signature" with words from such a
> > "reactionary" director as Tarkovsky?
>
> Everyone knows Dostoevsky was a "reactionary"
> writer.

Haha, yes, and we need more "reactionary" writers and directors of this quality!

I will say one thing...even though Tarkovsky had delays and problems with the Soviet bureaucracy, he did manage to get them produced more or less in tact. There is no doubt in my mind that he would never have gotten his films produced in America, had he been here. In Europe - as he did in Italy and Sweden- yes. In America, no.

Thomas

===== "A question is always the desire to know, and to preserve simple human truths, we need secrets. The secrets of happiness, death, love."