Waiting for Der Mann - Imperialism & Fascism

a rebours a_rebours2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 07:01:14 PDT 2002

--- Chip Berlet <cberlet at igc.org> wrote:

> > > There is one country currently capable of world
> > > imperialism, but there are
> > > several movements and regimes that are fascist
> > > or authoritarian oligarchies.
> > > We should be careful not to support fascism or
> > > oligarchy as a way to combat
> > > imperialism. That is suicidal.
> >
> > were the taliban fascist? then, today's fascism
> > must be a weak force, as they got pretty easily
> > louted by a
> > few months of bombings, special forces, assorted
> > warlords....
>
> This is an absurd reductionism of the term fascist
> to be equivalent to military power.

fascists without military power are a weak force, at least no serious competition to imperialists....

imho, it is altogether unnecesary to conceive of the taliban, iraq under hussein, etc. as fascist regimes (as you apparently do) and imperialists (as s-t-t at juno.com suggested)....you can oppose them just as well or even better without resorting to the f-word or the i-word.