it's about oppressive relations...

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Oct 24 07:39:33 PDT 2002

Hi Carrol,

Well, try as you might to feign the identity of "D"...you know and I know that it's Demi Moore.

Hey DM, right on there with the oppression post! You know, that just prompted me to interject something into the LBO discussion on pornography about the role oppressive relations play in some of these definitions and such.

In my opinion, if the relations between group members -- whether men/women, white/black, capitalists/laborers, developed/developing regions, whatever -- are oppressive or unequal, then there is always the danger that the ways in which these group members come together will potentially involve some kind of exploitation, domination, and/or exclusion. These are the ways in which oppressed relations may manifest themselves and perpetuate/reinforce that same oppression.

In South Africa, virtually all households that have any sort of income employ domestic servants. And these servitors are almost always black, in fact, black servants were the only servants I ever saw while I was there. The past/present relations between blacks and whites in SA is really no mystery to most people throughout the world -- even children. On a recent test on Africa that my 8 year old took in school, there was the following question:

True or False? In South Africa, the huge black population went to the best schools, had good jobs and good medical care. ________________

Well needless to say, my child answered the question correctly...but presumably so did most of the other children in the class. Blacks were and still are oppressed in SA.

A question: will the continual employment of blacks in servile roles alleviate, any time soon, the oppressed conditions they still endure? Is it right to only notice, "well hey, they have jobs and they're earning money"? Shouldn't it also be noticed that servitude, when the servitor is a member of an oppressed group, will continue to uphold the unequal power relations between the group members? Servitude by underclass members is domination -- which is a form of oppression.

Is all servitude oppressive? I think it all depends on who is the server, who is being served, and what are the social group relations between them.

So similarly with pornography: is all sexually explicit material -- including that which is designed to specifically evoke sexual feelings -- pornographic? Of course not. Again, it all depends on the roles played by the participants and are these roles "in step" with or "indifferent" to the unequal power relations that may exist between the participants.

Images or real life roles that put members on the short end of unequal power relations in subordinate, submissive, or servile roles -- sssssssss -- is domination -- which is a form of oppression. That's pretty damn obnoxious and obscene. Moreover, these oppressive images and real life roles can never go on to alleviate this oppression. How can something oppressive alleviate oppression?

Diane