if only chomsky blubbered and pounded his chest like Hitch

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:45:26 PDT 2002

Dennis: If Carrol had loftier intentions, he sure hasn't stated them here.

--why must he state them, to satisfy you? I think it's rather clear why he signed the petition, much like why Chomsky thinks the trial of Milo is farcical...Only difference is you assign support for Milo or Jared Israel to Carrol...But people who follow what Carrol has written know that not to be the case, so why should he answer it. I guess in the 50's leftists should have answered "are you or have you ever been"...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But enough about this. You don't think it's a big deal signing a petition supporting a murderous thug and ethnic cleanser. Fair enough. That's your benchmark, and you're welcome to it.

--I don't think it's a big deal calling for his release from Hague custody, the main purpose of the petition from what I can tell.

Why do you have this impression that Chomsky's anger should be a media tactic?

--I can't imagine why else it should matter. I just heard him give a speech today on Democracy Now, same ol' monotone Noam, whether he talks about Saddam or Bush...I would think his position on issues would be what leftists would want to debate, not his tone...the former is substantive, the latter is as picayune as it gets a la Gitin or Hitchens type pro-war celebrities who play lefties on TV but not in real life...

Jesus H -- where'd you learn to debate: Romper Room? I'm telling you about my personal experience, and that's what it was

--great, and i'm telling you what i saw and see to this day...religious and non-religious types interact at a number of levels, show up at each other's events, cooperate *and* have disagreements with each other...i find it hard to believe NY and Boston are that different...aside from the heroic nature of Red Sox fans...