Sniper

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 24 14:47:45 PDT 2002

I think that stereotypes of the military's effect on individuals, or of the personality of those drawn to the military, are not informative of why people go off the deep end.

For one thing, I doubt the stereotypes are true even as rough generalizations. For two, cases like this are so singular as to defy the relevance of such general factors.

It may be frustrating, but the truth IMO is that we will never know why Tim McV did what he did, and we may never get far inside the heads of these guys either.

mbs

Max B. Sawicky writes:
> I agree on the silliness of military-connected explanations
> of the snipers' behavior.

Are you here objecting to specific explanations, or any attempt to portray Muhammad's killing spree as somehow linked to his military past? mark