On the Beauty of Repetition (?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 26 05:39:32 PDT 2002

I'll be gone for a week; State Farm is having a workshop on "Storage" (of data) in Orlando, and Jan is going. Since I have a close friend there, I thought I'd go along. But reading posts by Daniel D, Steve P, et al on the single-minded pursuit of y & me by certain posters reminded me of a 50 year old item from the New Yorker, in an article on John Cage. Cage had given a concert in Carnegie Hall in which he and his partner played one bar from Brahms 800 times. Cage's comment was something like "After the 50th repetition, the audience realized we were serious." There can be an artistic beauty in repetition raised to a certain height of unbelievability.

See you all in a week.

Carrol

P.S. I recognize the fragility of the (pseudo?) principle, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," but I wonder about the related principles which some on the list seem to cling to doggedly, "The non-enemy of my enemmy is my enemy" or "The friend of my enemy is my enemy." How many deaths of Serbians, Koreans, Iraqi, Afghanistani, Muslim Philippinos, Palestinians must we celebrate to qualify as acceptable human beings? Also: is a nasty person who lacks the capacity to harm "us" still an enemy, and one who must be pursued to his/her/their ultimate destruction?

P.S.2: I still don't understand in the least how it makes any difference whatsoever whether a u.s. citizen "supports" or "opposes" this or that foreign tyrant. Probably there is some other motive, but the motive that appears on the surface is the desire to feel warm and cozy in one's moral superiority to the world. That would explain the rantings against Chomsky's failure to aid in that coziness.