: Up to 30 Armed Men Seize Moscow Theater

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 27 09:43:05 PST 2002

This is Putin's address after the hostage situation (latest estimate is 115-odd dead):

Putin gives televised address

MOSCOW. Oct 26 (Interfax) - Russian President Vladimir Putin gave a televised address on Saturday evening:

Fellow Russians! We have been through a terrifying two days. All of our thoughts have been with those who fell into the hands of armed bastards. We hoped those people would be released, but each of us knew we had to be prepared for the worst.

Early this morning we carried out an operation to free the hostages. We achieved almost the impossible - we saved the lives of hundreds, yes hundreds of people. We showed that Russia cannot be brought to her knees. But now I want most of all to address the relatives and the loved-ones of those who died.

We were unable to save everybody.

We ask forgiveness.

May the memory of those who died unite us.

I thank all Russian citizens for their support and unity. Special thanks to those who helped to free the hostages, particularly the special units, who fought for the lives of others without hesitation, without regard for their own life.

We also thank our friends throughout the world for their moral and practical support in the fight against our common enemy. This is a strong and dangerous enemy, an inhumane and ruthless enemy. This is international terrorism. As long as this enemy has not been vanquished, nowhere in the world will people feel safe. But this enemy must be vanquished. And this enemy will be vanquished.

I spoke with one of the victims in hospital today. He said: "I wasn't afraid. I was sure the terrorists would have no future."

And he was right.

They have no future.

But we do.

_________________________________________________________________ Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp