(no subject)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 27 14:39:11 PST 2002

>Chip Berlet wrote:
>
>>We should be careful not to support fascism or oligarchy as a way to combat
>>imperialism.
>
>Speaking of which, saw a grafitto in Rome that said Ne' USA Ne'
>Islam (Neither USA Nor Islam), punctuated with a pitchfork-like
>logo. I'm guessing this was some neo- or crypto-fascist outfit.
>Anyone know?
>
>Doug

That's a slogan of neo-fascist Forza Nuova: "Nè U.S.A. nè Islam - Europa Una, Grande, Armata." Cf. <http://www.forzanuovacomo.org/NeusaNeislam.shtml>.

***** Two 'Catholic' charities linked to Nazis, says report

Paul Kelso Guardian

Monday September 18, 2000

Two charities claiming to promote international Catholicism have close links with a neo-Nazi political group and an Italian fascist, according to a report published by the charity commission today.

The damning report found that the sister charities, the St George Educational Trust (SGET), and the Trust of St Michael the Archangel (TSMA), have got a "close association" with International Third Position (ITP), a far-right group that opposes third-world immigration to Europe, Zionism, and homosexuality.

Both charities have had their assets frozen pending the conclusion of the investigation.

In breach of the Charities Act, neither charity has filed accounts for the year ending March 1999. They have been served with an order requiring them to file accounts by October 12 or face a contempt of court charge.

Roberto Fiore, a fascist politician and businessman, is a trustee of SGET. The charity commission found that his company, Meeting Point, had received payments from TSMA. The money was for rent owed on the charity's shop on Shirland Road in Maida Vale, west London.

In 1985, Mr Fiore was sentenced in Italy, in his absence, for being a member of the political wing of the Armed Revolutionary Nuclei, a fascist terror group. The group was implicated in the Bologna bombing of 1980, which killed 85 people.

The commission also found that at one stage ITP and SGET operated from the same premises while TSMA was funding renovation work in Los Pedriches, an abandoned Spanish village, which ITP was occupying with the aim of creating a white nationalist community and training centre for volunteer soldiers.

"While in each case the trustees say that these matters are entirely coincidental, the only reasonable conclusion is that a close association exists between the charities and the ITP," says the report.

The commission concluded that the charities' financial and management controls were "weak and needed considerable improvement", and that TSMA's involvement in Los Pedriches had given rise to legitimate public concern. The charity's trustees claim to have ended the link with the village.

Members of ITP began moving to Los Pedriches, 60 miles from Valencia, in 1996, 15 years after the inhabitants had moved out. Seven of the village's eight houses were purchased by foreigners. According to TSMA, accounts of about £7,000 for construction and renovation work came from the charity.

Mr Fiore, who fled to the UK in the early 1980s, is national secretary of Italian fascist party Forza Nuova, whose logo appears on the ITP website. Mr Fiore denied he had links with ITP but said he sympathised with its ideas. "I recognise that fascism is good on certain issues," he said. Asked whether he supported repatriation of black people, he said: "There is a fundamental lack of natural justice if people are brought to live in different countries to where they were born. Everyone should be staying in the place where they live; it is wrong to have Islamic immigration to Italy and thank God in Italy we recognise that."

Asked why he did not live in Italy, Mr Fiore said: "You know my history. I am here on the principle of asylum." As an EU national he does not need asylum to remain in the UK. Attempts to extradite him in the 1980s failed.

The charity commission began its investigation following newspaper reports establishing links between the charities and the far right. Interim findings are being published because of public concern.

Mr Fiore was suspended as a trustee of SGET in 1997 but following an investigation by the commission was cleared last year to resume his trusteeship.

Simon Gillespie, director of operations at the charity commission, said the links between the charities and ITP was unacceptable. "Important issues have been raised in this case. We expect all trustees to be open and honest with us and in their dealings with the public. If our investigations show that people have tried to mislead us, we would view it very seriously."

Under the Charities Act, misleading the charity commission can lead to two years' jail.

Mr Gillespie added: "The close links of these two charities with an organisation such as ITP is totally unacceptable and we look to both charities to distance themselves completely to avoid suspicion."

* Iran Aid, a charity that once raised £5m a year for the country's victims of human rights abuses, has been shut down by the charity commission after a two-year investigation. Allegedly donors' cash for Iranian refugees went to Mojaheddin el Kalq, a group reputedly linked to terrorist activities in Iran. Iran Aid, set up in Barnet, north London, had been accused of aggressive fundraising tactics, and in 1998 its accounts were frozen. About £600,000 of its money will now be transferred to Iran Aid Foundation, a new charity.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4064888,00.html> *****

Andreas Insabato, reportedly a member of Forza Nuova, bombed the office of Il Manifesto (an Italian left-wing daily) in December 2000: <http://www.ict.org.il/spotlight/det.cfm?id=541> & <http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/stories/portraitofabomber.htm>. -- Yoshie