Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Oct 27 20:51:20 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s
>> Organizers Say 100,000 Turned Out
>

> Wonderful to come back to this good news. I'm no fan of ANSWER, but I'll
> bet a lot of the people there had no idea who Sam Marcy was, and the
> major point is that >100,000 were there. (I would have been, but I was
> in Rome.) The best way to reduce WWP's influence is to get 200,000 to
> your demo.

Or organize a demo or actions that are more effective.

I've said more than enough about ANSWER, but the problem with permitted demos in Washington, DC is that they have to break the 200,000 mark before the Washington Post (and the rest of the mainstream media) treats it seriously. If you are just doing a rally and march, you are competing with historical big protests like the Million Man March and the Promise Keepers.

The Post couldn't even be bothered to put an article about the protests on the front page of Sunday's newspaper. They did run a photo of the protests on the bottom of the front page, but the article underneath it was about Bush's trip to Mexico. The article about the protests was put into the Metro section. Not good for a protest of 100,000 that had been billed as a national event.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)