Anderson weighs in

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 27 23:13:57 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> ><http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR25101.shtml>
>
> Wow. 10,000 words. Landed aristocrats have a lot of time on their hands.
>
> What'd he say?

In a nutshell, US imperialism is very, very, very, very bad, Europe is less bad, but fractionated and subaltern and run by US imperialism, while East Asia simply does not exist. Needless to say, he recites not one single economic statistic to back any of this up -- mostly because the stats don't support the thesis of SuperAmerica. Lines like this, though, make me wonder what the guy is smoking these days:

"There is no cause to regret that the Bush administration has scotched the wretched charade of the International Criminal Court, or swept aside the withered fig-leaves of the Kyoto Protocol. But there is every reason to resist its erosion of civil liberties in America."

This creeps me out. The ICC ain't global justice, but it's a damn sight better than Camp X-ray, and Kyoto was an important first step towards ecological sanity. Perry's Americentrism ends up being the weird mirror-image of what it claims to criticize, but secretly wishes to identify with.

-- Dennis