Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 28 20:09:32 PST 2002

Chuck0 wrote:
>The Post couldn't even be bothered to put an article about the
>protests on the front page of Sunday's newspaper.
-So? Why are you so obsessed with what the big media do? Surely the -Post editors, and the rest of the ruling elite they work with and -for, noticed it and made a conscious decision not to put it on the -front page. Or is the Black Bloc strategy to have a small group
>pull off some
>dramatic action that will grab some headlines, rather than organizing
>larger activities that have a chance of drawing in new people?

Come on-- the point of big DC rallies is to get media attention. If you want to "draw in new people", you do local events, not truck the committed hundreds of miles from home.

The Post reported the only interesting thing about the rally, namely the numbers who showed up. Other than that, the speeches were mind-numbingly boring. I don't agree with a lot of the Black Bloc tactics, but I have to admit their entrance to the rally area was one of the only points of energy during the rally period.

-- Nathan Newman