Fwd: You can now have a Radical Society!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 28 16:29:33 PST 2002

X-From_: editors at radicalsociety.org Thu Oct 24 08:46:16 2002 Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT) From: Radical Society <editors at radicalsociety.org> Subject: You can now have a Radical Society! To: editors at radicalsociety.org MIME-Version: 1.0

Radical Society is a fresh attempt at grappling with serious issues -- a political magazine that breaks through discussions of social movements, political strategies, foreign policy, economics, and culture with clarity, dash, humor, and irreverence. Hard-hitting and witty. Humane and angry. Political and satirical. Serious and fun.

Progressive in politics and tone, we also want to look back to a time when political engagement, fiery rebelliousness, and intoxicating passion were the defining features of a good magazine. The optimism and struggles of earlier eras created magazines that were brash and fearless -- a spirit we want to capture in Radical Society.

In our first issue, available now:

Doug Henwood, Liza Featherstone and Christian Parenti take on the anti-intellectualism of new street activists;

Ellen Willis explains why she's not for peace;

Charles Bernstein and Katha Pollitt discuss the poetics of war talk; and Two young contrarians reply to Christopher Hitchens.

In the second issue, which has just gone to press: John Sayles and Howard Zinn talk about movies, history, and happy endings;

Winifred Tate argues that the drug wars are killing democracy in Colombia;

William Thornton calculates the war on terrorism's costs to Asia; and

Mark Greif posits that we don't really want to stop genocide.

All this, plus fiction, poetry, photography and the sleekest design of any political magazine.

Radical Society is available in finer bookstores.