Official: Gas Killed 115 Hostages

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Oct 29 00:04:39 PST 2002

Wojtek wrote:

> I know it will not sound politically correct, but I tend to believe that
> most things individuals do, including crime and violence, poverty or
> prosperity, are socially and comunally constructed. People may be
> making rational choices every now and then, but the values on which
> those choices are made and the available options are defined by social
> context, which also defines what is "the right thing" to do. So to stop
> terrorism or violence, you need to dismantle the social/cultural context
> that breeds them. In practical terms, it means forced relocation to
> disperse ethnic or cultural enclaves that breed terror and violence.
> Sad but true.

OK--but how much human suffering do you think your non-kosher solution would inflict? I suppose a lot of problems could be solved by simply killing or ethnically cleansing the the population found to be troublesome--but it's more than mere political correctness that dulls our inclination to accept such solutions.

-- Luke