FW: Thanks, NRA!

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Tue Oct 29 05:26:22 PST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 02:03:44PM -0500, Wojtek Sokolowski quoted:

> > Of course, had Congress not caved in to the NRA we would
> > have known after the first HOUR of the first day of the
> > killings three weeks ago that those bullets were coming out
> > of a rifle that belonged to John Williams/Mohammad. How would
> > we know this? It's right there in the state records in New
> > Jersey: this gun was purchased this past July, under the name
> > of John Mohammad!

Michael Moore ought to do his homework. "Ballistic fingerprinting" is a kind of quackery, easily circumvented with a hard bore-brush and a file.

Plus these fingerprints come from the *barrel and firing pin*, after market parts that can be ordered from just about anywhere.

Claiming that had the Sniper's gun been "fingerprinted" it would have saved lives rests on the assumption that the Sniper wouldn't have expended the minimal effort necessary to change his gun's "fingerprint". Considering the elaborate lengths the Sniper went to hide his crime, the work he did to his car, it seems Moore is being disengenuous.

> > And thank you, Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., for providing
> > the gun used to shoot the 13 people in the DC area.
> > Bushmaster's president, Richard E. Dyke, was the Maine
> > finance chairman of George W. Bush's 2000 Presidential
> > campaign. According to Business Week, Dyke had to step down
> > as Bush's finance chair "after reporters began quizzing him
> > about his business dealings. Bushmaster Firearms Inc., is
> > notorious for using loopholes to sidestep a 1994 federal ban
> > on assault rifles." Bush and Bushmaster. Too tragically perfect.

This paragraph is nonsense. The 1994 ban prevents new receivers from being put on guns with more than 2 "frightening features": pistol grip, detachable magazine, collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor. So Bushmaster, like every other rifle manufacturer, only produces new rifles in compliance with US law: usually just with the pistol grip and detachable magazine. This is not a loophole.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant