18 ways to hate your neighbor

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 29 06:44:07 PST 2002

> 18 Ways to Hate Your Neighbour
> Europe 's Lesson To The World

A cheap shot from the hip. Every society has its share of bigoted yahoos who are eager to express their prejudices in beer halls, and act on them if asked by the prople who call themselves governments. And every society has a history of violence and pogroms. It is like saying that my granfather was a crook or a villain hence I must be a crook or a villain - a typical claim of gult by association

What this cheap way of judging nations misses is the social and institutional structure that either inhibits or encourages violence. That structure in moderen Western European states inhibits violence on all levels (from personal to nation-wide) to a much greater degree than in the US, not to mention the developing countries.

Wojtek