Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 29 06:44:03 PST 2002

> Actually, I think this war is eminently stoppable. There are intense
> divisions in the establishment over this war, largely because it's so
likely
> to be a complete disaster even on its own terms. (See James Fallows in
this
> month's Atlantic). And a large show of antiwar energy feeds the
> calculations of the politicos in the White House -- read Karl Rover et
> al. -- that this war is ultimately a loser for Bush.

> -- Nathan Newman

There were elite divisions before the last Gulf War -- bigger ones, if memory serves. And there were IAC rallies and non-IAC rallies, and so on; then, in Jan '91, war. Elite splits are nothing new, especially if the US military is being used.

I did read the Fallows piece, and agree with him that the various end results are not pretty.

DP