Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 29 09:02:38 PST 2002

> Thomas Seay wrote:
>
> >Do they have any effect?
>
> They disturb the bourgeoisie. They're a break in the everyday, and
> fill our rulers with an anxiety that things might slip out of hand.
> There's a quote in the famous early 1970s McCracken report on
> inflation done for the OECD which I must track down again that made
> it clear that "inflation" also meant crowds in the streets and the
> palpable feeling that the ruling class was losing control.
>
> Doug

And look at the date of that assessment -- different time, different mindset completely. And there was still the "Crisis of Democracy" wailing to come after Vietnam.

I highly doubt that a bunch of pro-North Korean dicks spouting clichés at outdoor events rattles the quo all that much. I would imagine the actions in Seattle and other anti-globie protests do that more, as the armed reaction to them suggests.

DP