Are Marches Pep-Rallies? (was Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 09:32:08 PST 2002

> They disturb the bourgeoisie. T
> There's a quote in the famous early 1970s McCracken
> report on
> inflation done for the OECD

Well, I shall be interested in reading that quote, or anything else that would provide evidence that marches, where all you do is go from point A to point B, have any effect.

How does this compare with something like Seattle, where you actually shut something down?

A few people, you included Doug, have praised WWP for having gotten so many people out in the street. If such demonstrations have little or no effect, other than being a sort of empty left-wing ritual, then does

that number really matter? Is there a possibility of another "Seattle" so long as we have groups like WWP "leading" the anti-war movement into ineffective channels of dissent?

Now perhaps, these types of marches do have an effect...but I am really not so sure that they do. I am tempted to view them as nothing more than

"pep rallies" for our team: "Go team go...beat, beat, beat, beat back war...yeah!" Of course, this "pep rally" approach might be of value, in that it keeps up the spirits up in dark times. On the other hand, it could be a problem if we are primarily engaging in this kind of activity, to the detriment of some other more effective type of protest, thinking that a "pep rally" really helps stop war, when it does not.

-Thomas

-Thomas

===== "A question is always the desire to know, and to preserve simple human truths, we need secrets. The secrets of happiness, death, love."

__________________________________________________ Yahoo! - We Remember 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute