Steve P vs. Chris H

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 09:46:11 PST 2002

> >Would you feel safer with a nuclear Iraq? Isn't it bad
> >enough that Pakistan is armed?
>
> It's worse. They've got more of them, and some really creepy fuckers
> could get their hands on them. Most rational people think that Saddam
> would use nukes, if he had them, only as a desperation move if
> cornered. Not Pakistan's nukes if AQ types got hold of them. But
> we're not supposed to talk about that now, because Pakistan is our
> friend now. It would be a cliche to call this Orwellian, but the
> context lends the cliche a little freshness.
>
> Doug

I completely agree, and should have added Israel to the mix. Israel has, to put it mildly, deterrent power that makes North Korea look pretty limp. A pro-al-Q coup in Pakistan would be disastrous, regardless of how anyone here feels about Bush or Saddam. And allowing Saddam to get his, no matter how "rational" he's supposed to be, is not a "progressive" step by any means.

DP