steve P vs

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Oct 31 06:51:14 PST 2002

Hi,

See below:

Oh please. This is a really dubious assertion. The Hindu nationalist aspect of the BJP in India is well documented.

See:

Robert Eric Frykenberg, "Accounting for Fundamentalisms in South Asia: Ideologies and Institutions in Historical Perspective," in Accounting for Fundamentalisms, The Fundamentalism Project 4, eds., Martin E. Marty and R. Scott Appleby (Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1994), 591-616;

Ainslee T. Embree, "The Function of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh: To Defines the Hindu Nation," in Accounting for Fundamentalisms 4, 617-652;

Tanika Sarkar and Urvashi Butalia, eds., Women and the Hindu Right (New Delhi: Kali for Women, 1995);

Walter K. Andersen, "Bharatiya Janata Party: Searching for the Face of Hindu Nationalism," in The New Politics of the Right: Neo-Populist Parties and Movements in Established Democracies, Hans-Georg Betz and Stefan Immerfall, eds., (New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1998);

-Chip Berlet