"Republican shill"

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Oct 31 16:34:33 PST 2002

>So it's come to this...
>
>The guy who works at the cafe next door to my office asked me if I
>knew anything about the movie that's playing around the corner at the
>Film Forum, "The Trial of Henry Kissinger." I said, yes, it's based
>on a book by Christopher Hitchens...
>
>...at which point he interrupted me and said, "Hitchens? I don't
>don't believe anything he says. He's just a Republican shill."
>
>It was too beautiful to correct.
>
>Doug

The people on the street I hear this from are usually uninformed Clinton apologists who have this simplistic Manichean, donkey versus elephant view of politics. I can't say if it's a beautiful sentiment or not, because I don't know what I think about the relation between truth and beauty. Sometimes as you know the truth can be very ugly or unpleasant.

In November, a book titled Left Hooks, Right Crosses: A Decade of Political Writing will come out. It's edited by Hitchens and the self-described right-winger and Weekly Standard writer Christopher Caldwell. Some of the authors included are Susan Sontag, Tony Kushner, Tucker Carlson, Andrew Sullivan, Arundahti Roy, Marshall Berman, Adolph Reed Jr., David Tell, David Rieff, Thomas Frank, David Brooks, "and many more." http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1560254092.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg