steve P vs

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Oct 31 16:50:24 PST 2002

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> I am not sure what is meant by this. BJP doesn't even represent Hindus.
BJP
> had only 23% of the total votes polled in the previous general elections.
>
> Ulhas
>
> -With only 23% of votes how is BJP the ruling party? What are their
> coalition
> -partners?

BJP has only about 170 seats out of 540 seats in the lower house of Indian Parliament. There coalition partners are secular parties like DMK, Telugu Desam etc. One could broadly distinguish between a) secular parties with the nation wide base and orientation and b) secular parties with regional bases and orientation. The latter group of parties are in coalition with the BJP.

My point was that Hindus constitute about 84% of India's population. But the rightwing fascistoid parties like the BJP get less than a fourth of the popular vote. The overwhelming majority of Hindus (and Muslims and Christians) are secular in outlook.The Congress party which ruled for 50 years, still gets about 30% of the total votes. Indian state is a secular state, though this secularism is under attack from a significant minority of fascitoid parties.

Ulhas