Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Sep 1 06:32:43 PDT 2002

> _The_Rapture_, the movie, doesn't belong to this category of
> mythopoetics. After all, at the end the heroine judges God and finds
> him wanting,

The movie would have been just as interesting, if not more so, with the opposite ending. (I personally found that ending tacked on, a kind of cold feet, and not in the heroine's character.) I think what made it interesting is the way tampering with present history took it outside the box of what art is allowed to do. Kind of like the graphic novel _The Watchmen_.

So no, I disgree. If someone only watched half the Rapture, in which the actual ending is not at all foreshadowed, he'd probably still find it interesting and really want to know how it ended.

Michael