Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 1 10:44:55 PDT 2002

>Cockburn flirts with anti-semitic language. Mencken was aggressively
>anti-semitic. I'm not sure we need him all that badly.
>
>Carrol

Why am I not surprised? We need him more than ever. Try to imagine what Mencken would say about television today. Peter Gabriel has a new song "The Barry Williams Show" about a daytime TV talkshow host which reminded me of how Ian McEwan in his novel The Child in Time describes the experience of watching daytime television audiences as "the democrat's pornography." I don't see why humor can't be used to cope with that experience and similarly distressing facts concerning the majority of our fellow citizens. Mencken was an expert practionner of that humor. (Just saw Dustin Hoffman's _Lenny_ last night; it's about comedian Lenny Bruce. He was another good critquer of the majority's hypocrisies.) But then again Mencken had style of a sort and the Left is allergic to style. Peter