Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 11:47:43 PDT 2002

Eric said:

>People, even Christians, aren't completely formed by the cultural products
>they consume (I wonder how many people who read these books are not even
>Christians), and I wonder if any besides those who already believe actually
>buy into the books' right-wing outlook.

A person doesn't have to be completely formed by cultural products to cause others worry; strongly formed will do.

Christians have a pretty diverse outlook on politics as history shows, but given the expressed religious tendencies and associations of the people you have in positions of power in the States at the moment, doesn't this sort of "coincidence" strike you as some cause for concern, at least? Besides you don't have to have an entire army of zealots, inflamed by cultural materials, to cause havoc. Right, New Yorkers?

>People have been dressing up and going to see (actually *watching*) The
>Rocky Horror Picture Show for 25 years now. That's scarier to me than a few
>books about the Apocalypse.

Hard core Rocky Horror fans haven't, to my knowledge, gotten into many positions of high power and influence. And RHPS doesn't mention end-times, Rapture, and Apocalypse (well . . . maybe those terms apply to Dr. Frank N. Furter).

BTW, hey, Chip, has anyone ever actually tracked the coincidence of "hard core", "right-wing" Christians getting into positions of power (not necessarily political power, though)?

Todd