Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 1 12:52:18 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Of course he wasn't a thinker - he was a journalist! And I'm well
>aware of his numerous hateful shortcomings. But like I said, he was
>a great polemicist and funny as hell. Why oh why must the left
>(which of course doesn't exist in the Coxian orthodoxy) ceaselessly
>invoke all the familiar pieties?

It's as if lefties (if they exist, that is) are afraid of being caught having an unorthodox thought, so they have to compensate by reciting the equivalent of the Nicene Creed. Any Freudian would be deeply suspicious of that impulse - as if it were defending against guilt over bad desires. And any civilian would find it weird and annoying.

Doug