Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 1 17:10:48 PDT 2002

It is interesting to note that Richard Wright as a young man read H.L. Mencken (he had to use subterfuge to get access to the books because young black boys were not supposed to be reading people like Mencken), and that had a profound effect on him. I supect that Mencken was one of those writers who despite their own, sometimes deeply reactionary outlooks, who managed to exert a progressive influence upon his readers.

Actually as far as Mencken's racism and anti-Semitism are concerned, he was a mass of contradictions. A number of African-American writers got their start, writing for the American Mercury. Mencken was not overly fond of Jews but he did speak out against the persecution of Jews in Germany, and called for a relaxation of immigration quotas so they could come to this country.

Jim F.