sorry

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Sep 2 10:13:35 PDT 2002

>I remember affirmative action for the disabled in my childhood
>and teenage years, in the form of advertising and perhaps more
>substantial forms of persuasion. It was probably an aftereffect
>of World War II, when some of the disabled were veterans. But
>not all. "Hire the disabled -- it's good business!" When
>was that, the benighted fifties?
>
>--
>
>[ the difficulty of being Left ]
>
>Gordon:

I think the gov't has tried to use that phrase to get more businesses to employ disabled workers but it hasn't worked. Gov't has offered tax subsidies to business to employ disabled workers, and Section 504 of the Rehab Act of 1973 requires the Feds to use affirmative action when it comes to disability. The results aren't promising. The Feds basically ignored the law like they do with so many, and the businesses have only vaguely seen the tax subsidy as a draw given that the unemployment rate of disabled persons has remained at 68-70% (ages 16-64) throughout the years.

Marta --