a critique of the march on Sandton

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Sep 2 13:20:14 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck Munson wrote:
>
>> But don't get in the way of those who want to burn the convention
>> center down.
>

> You've got to be kidding, Chuck. There's the immediate problem of
> massive numbers of cops who would have shredded anyone who tried, and
> the less immediate one of discrediting any movement that did something
> like that. Are you really interested in a political transformation, or
> just in getting your ya-yas out?

This is where we fundamentally disagree. Political transformation never happens after people are tamed into listening to speakers and leaders.

Was Seattle about getting our ya-yas out?

Perhaps we should have obediently filed into the stadium to listen to hours of speeches from the officially-approved labor leaders?

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)