a critique of the march on Sandton

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 3 09:32:28 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I don't know that it's accomplishing very much - it seems more like
> an expression of impotent rage than a political strategy.

I don't see how "from here" we can say anything about it at all. Hypothetically a bank burning (or similar acts) can serve as a means of communication _within_ pre-revolutionary movements. That would assume that the "mobs" that burned down the banks were not sectarian "black blocks" or whatever but had some internal structure, with their action signifying a certain level of development.

In northern cities in the late '60s inner-city riots were above all a form of communication. Such forms of communication are (usually) a precondition of more organized and coherent action.

Carrol