Foreign investment in Moscow region could reach $1 bln in 2004

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 12:24:35 PDT 2002

Foreign investment in Moscow region could reach $1 bln in 2004 MOSCOW. Sept 3 (Interfax) - Moscow region could attract about $1 billion of foreign investment in 2004, Governor Boris Gromov said on Tuesday.

"In 2004 we will closely approach this figure, I'm sure of this," Gromov said at news briefing. The region received more than $370 million of foreign investment in 2001, and plans to attract about $800 million per year in 2002 and 2003, he said.

"This is also confirmed by experts at rating agency Standard & Poor's, who think that Moscow region has already overtaken Moscow by the amount of direct investment in industry," Gromov said.

Gromov said he was directly overseeing efforts to attract investment. "The regional government is constantly taking steps to improve the investment climate in the region, and reduce administrative and bureaucratic barriers. A regional law on investment activities will soon be passed that will become a kind of catalyst for the influx of new, solid investment into the region's economy," he said. <>