Wisconsin men sue terrorists (in state court!)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 4 09:00:12 PDT 2002

>http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/news/archive/local_5870584.shtml
>
>"Defendants include the Taliban, al-Qaida, nations of Iraq and Iran, terror
>suspects Zacarias Moussaoui and Richard Reid, a Somali relief group, two
>Minneapolis money wire services and a Bahamian bank. The suit claims
>defendants supported terrorism designed to harm plaintiffs."
>
>"In the Brown County suit, plaintiffs will have to establish why they are
>entitled to damages as victims and why state court  and not federal court
> is the proper jurisdiction, Schneider said."
>
>The hypocrisy about frivolous lawsuits and wasting taxpayer money abounds.

State courts are courts of general (subject matter) jurisdiction; they're no less proper per se than federal courts to hear this sort of action. They can enforce federal as well as state laws. In fact, they must do so. There is settled case law to that effect. The problem will be to show that the Wisconsin court has personal jurisdiction over the defendants, that the defendants have had the sort of contacts with Wisconsin that would make it fair to hale them before a Wisconsin court, e.g., that they have committed the sort of acts complained of in Wisconsin. AS for wasting money and judicial resources, if there aren't plausible allegations of the appropriate sort of contacts in Wisconsin, the court will dismiss the lawsuit pretty quick, I imagine. jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx